Davit Kakoishvili is an associate at BGI Legal. He is also responsible for the criminal law desk at the firm. His areas of practice include criminal litigation and extradition proceedings, civil litigation, arbitration, employment and corporate law.
In the early stages of his career, Davit served as a Criminal Practice Researcher at Training Center of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia where he encouraged the Training Center to research and analyze decisions on criminal cases adopted by the Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia.
Moreover, Mr Kakoishvili is a Visiting Lecturer and Clinical Supervisor at Business Law Clinic at Free University of Tbilisi. He helps LL.B and LL.M students in developing core competencies needed for successful lawyering.
A brief selection of his notable engagements includes the following:
• Represented the interests of foreign investors operating in various fields of business before the Georgian Courts;
• Represented oil and gas investment company in successfully defended investor-state dispute;
• Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia (producer of fertilizers) concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor (local bank);
• Represented the minority shareholder of the investment company operating in the energy market in the biggest ever (from a financial standpoint) and successfully negotiated appraisal litigation;
• Represented the interest of one of the biggest investment companies in the oil industry in employment litigation.
• Represented the applicant - Former Prime Minister of Georgia before the Grand Chamber of European Court of Human Rights in winning landmark case Merabishvili v. Georgia, where a violation of Article 18 was established by the Grand Chamber for the first case ever.
• Represented the applicants before the Chamber of European Court of Human Rights within the framework of cases Ugulava v. Georgia and Ninua v. Georgia.
• Represented former President of Georgia in three criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
• Representing former Minister of Justice of Georgia in two criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
• Represented numerous foreign commercial banks and other companies having the status of a victim before the prosecutorial authorities.
• Represented former head of the Procurement Department of the Ministry of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended criminal cases.
• Aided attorneys of former Minister of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended extradition case before the UK national court.
• Represented the interest of a number of persons before INTERPOL in successfully communicated cases where INTERPOL withdrew red notices or failed to put the persons on the international wanted list.
Mr Kakoishvili holds a Bachelors Degree (LL.B) in Law from Free University of Tbilisi and a Masters Degree (LL.M) in Business Law from Ilia State University.
Currently, Davit is a LL.M candidate in International Commercial Arbitration at Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden).
Mr Kakoishvili is a member of Georgian bar and is admitted to practice law in Georgia.
In addition to his native Georgian, Davit speaks English and has a fair command of Russian and German.