Ani Khojelani is an associate at BGI Legal. She joined the firm in 2014 as an intern. Her practice areas include human rights law, criminal law, as well as civil and administrative law, inter alia, general commercial law, corporate law, construction law, and intellectual property law.
Ani has experience in representing clients before governmental entities and other stakeholders, including national courts and international tribunals such as the European Court of Human Rights.
Ani is also responsible for compiling and editing monthly legal updates.
A brief selection of her most recent representations include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia ’s recent history;
- Advised a global technology company specializing in Internet-related services in connection with placement and operation of data servers and provision of related services;
- Advised and represented Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Sony Corporation and other international companies on intellectual property matters;
- Contributed to the World Bank survey of Georgian legal environment;
- Represented a client before national tax authorities on matters related to cross-border transportation of large amounts of money;
- Represented the interests of several multinational companies and commercial banks before national investigation authorities on issues related to cybercrime and fraudulent money transfer;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor;
- Represented the interests of a foreign contractor before the courts of Georgia on issues related to performance of the construction works for one of largest international hotel chains;
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle on trademark infringement before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of a client before the courts of Georgia on issues related to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction;
- Represented the members of the former government of Georgia within the scope of criminal proceedings before courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of clients before the INTERPOL on matters related refusal and cancelation of notices issues against individuals;
- Represented the interests of the former Prime Minister, Ivane Merabishvili before the European Court of Human Rights resulting in a landmark decision adopted by the Grand Chamber of the Court.
Ani is a graduate of the Free University of Tbilisi. She has attended professional study courses specializing in Internet Law and Intellectual Property Law. While obtaining her degree, Ani participated in various international moot court competitions. She successfully participated in the international rounds of the Phillip Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA) and was the finalist at the Central European Moot Court Competition (Brno, Czech Republic). She is also a winner of the National Criminal Law Moot in Advocacy Skills.
Together with her native Georgian, Ani is fluent in Russian and English.
"One of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work". Client feedback: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction. Strong knowledge." - Banking and finance, Restructuring and insolvency. Of Lasha Gogiberidze: "Good communication skills, responsive." Previous comments have included: "BGI Legal is one of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work...Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget". Lasha Gogiberidze is described as "prompt and quick to point out problems and pitfalls".
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.