Ani Khojelani is an associate at BGI Legal. She joined the firm in 2014 as an intern. Her practice areas include human rights law, criminal law, as well as civil and administrative law, inter alia, general commercial law, corporate law, construction law, and intellectual property law.
Ani has experience in representing clients before governmental entities and other stakeholders, including national courts and international tribunals such as the European Court of Human Rights.
Ani is also responsible for compiling and editing monthly legal updates.
A brief selection of her most recent representations include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia ’s recent history;
- Advised a global technology company specializing in Internet-related services in connection with placement and operation of data servers and provision of related services;
- Advised and represented Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Sony Corporation and other international companies on intellectual property matters;
- Contributed to the World Bank survey of Georgian legal environment;
- Represented a client before national tax authorities on matters related to cross-border transportation of large amounts of money;
- Represented the interests of several multinational companies and commercial banks before national investigation authorities on issues related to cybercrime and fraudulent money transfer;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor;
- Represented the interests of a foreign contractor before the courts of Georgia on issues related to performance of the construction works for one of largest international hotel chains;
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle on trademark infringement before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of a client before the courts of Georgia on issues related to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction;
- Represented the members of the former government of Georgia within the scope of criminal proceedings before courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of clients before the INTERPOL on matters related refusal and cancelation of notices issues against individuals;
- Represented the interests of the former Prime Minister, Ivane Merabishvili before the European Court of Human Rights resulting in a landmark decision adopted by the Grand Chamber of the Court.
Ani is a graduate of the Free University of Tbilisi. She has attended professional study courses specializing in Internet Law and Intellectual Property Law. While obtaining her degree, Ani participated in various international moot court competitions. She successfully participated in the international rounds of the Phillip Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA) and was the finalist at the Central European Moot Court Competition (Brno, Czech Republic). She is also a winner of the National Criminal Law Moot in Advocacy Skills.
Together with her native Georgian, Ani is fluent in Russian and English.
BGI Legal is ‘exceptional' in M&A, financing and real estate, and is especially prominent in the energy sector. Lasha Gogiberidze, whom clients regard as ‘the top lawyer in Georgia for banking, finance and capital markets transactions', and Sandro Bibilashvili handled a number of innovative regional energy projects and joint ventures, such as the Adjaristsqali hydropower project.
Vastly experienced market-leading firm assisting international and regional clients with all manner of corporate and commercial matters. Particularly well versed in project financing and loan agreements. Clients say: "The lawyers are detail-oriented and are always very helpful... Among the leading firms in Georgia."