Ani Khojelani is an associate at BGI Legal. She joined the firm in 2014 as an intern. Her practice areas include human rights law, criminal law, as well as civil and administrative law, inter alia, general commercial law, corporate law, construction law, and intellectual property law.
Ani has experience in representing clients before governmental entities and other stakeholders, including national courts and international tribunals such as the European Court of Human Rights.
Ani is also responsible for compiling and editing monthly legal updates.
A brief selection of her most recent representations include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia ’s recent history;
- Advised a global technology company specializing in Internet-related services in connection with placement and operation of data servers and provision of related services;
- Advised and represented Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Sony Corporation and other international companies on intellectual property matters;
- Contributed to the World Bank survey of Georgian legal environment;
- Represented a client before national tax authorities on matters related to cross-border transportation of large amounts of money;
- Represented the interests of several multinational companies and commercial banks before national investigation authorities on issues related to cybercrime and fraudulent money transfer;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor;
- Represented the interests of a foreign contractor before the courts of Georgia on issues related to performance of the construction works for one of largest international hotel chains;
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle on trademark infringement before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of a client before the courts of Georgia on issues related to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction;
- Represented the members of the former government of Georgia within the scope of criminal proceedings before courts of Georgia;
- Represented the interests of clients before the INTERPOL on matters related refusal and cancelation of notices issues against individuals;
- Represented the interests of the former Prime Minister, Ivane Merabishvili before the European Court of Human Rights resulting in a landmark decision adopted by the Grand Chamber of the Court.
Ani is a graduate of the Free University of Tbilisi. She has attended professional study courses specializing in Internet Law and Intellectual Property Law. While obtaining her degree, Ani participated in various international moot court competitions. She successfully participated in the international rounds of the Phillip Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA) and was the finalist at the Central European Moot Court Competition (Brno, Czech Republic). She is also a winner of the National Criminal Law Moot in Advocacy Skills.
Together with her native Georgian, Ani is fluent in Russian and English.
Legal director Unana Gogokhia focuses on financial transactions, and stands out for her experience of capital markets and derivatives. Clients appreciate her ability to "look at the issue very scrupulously and bring up points in the transaction that none of the other parties spotted." Sandro Bibilashvili is increasingly recognised in the market. He is involved in some of the firm's biggest project finance mandates and has recently been active working on energy projects. Counsel Tamara Tevdoradze enters the rankings on the back of positive praise. "She is very reliable, accurate and punctual, thinks in a very logical way and has very strong arguments," a client says
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."
BGI Legal is ‘exceptional' in M&A, financing and real estate, and is especially prominent in the energy sector. Lasha Gogiberidze, whom clients regard as ‘the top lawyer in Georgia for banking, finance and capital markets transactions', and Sandro Bibilashvili handled a number of innovative regional energy projects and joint ventures, such as the Adjaristsqali hydropower project.