Davit Kakoishvili is a senior associate at BGI Legal and heads the criminal law desk at the firm. In addition to criminal law, his areas of practice include civil litigation and arbitration as well as , employment and corporate law.
Davit is a Visiting Lecturer and Clinical Supervisor at Business Law Clinic at Free University of Tbilisi. He helps LL.B and LL.M students in developing core competencies needed for successful lawyering.
A brief selection of his notable engagements includes the following:
- Represented the interests of foreign investors operating in various fields of business before the Georgian Courts;
- Represented oil and gas investment company in successfully defended investor-state dispute;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia (producer of fertilizers) concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor (local bank);
- Represented the minority shareholder of the investment company operating in the energy market in the biggest ever (from a financial standpoint) and successfully negotiated appraisal litigation;
- Represented the interest of one of the biggest investment companies in the oil industry in employment litigation.
- Represented the applicant - Former Prime Minister of Georgia before the Grand Chamber of European Court of Human Rights in winning landmark case Merabishvili v. Georgia, where a violation of Article 18 was established by the Grand Chamber for the first case ever.
- Represented the applicants before the Chamber of European Court of Human Rights within the framework of cases Ugulava v. Georgia and Ninua v. Georgia.
- Represented former President of Georgia in three criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
- Representing former Minister of Justice of Georgia in two criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
- Represented numerous foreign commercial banks and other companies having the status of a victim before the prosecutorial authorities.
- Represented former head of the Procurement Department of the Ministry of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended criminal cases.
- Aided attorneys of former Minister of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended extradition case before the UK national court.
- Represented the interest of a number of persons before INTERPOL in successfully communicated cases where INTERPOL withdrew red notices or failed to put the persons on the international wanted list.
Mr. Kakoishvili holds a Bachelor’s Degree (LL.B.) in Law from Free University of Tbilisi and a Master’s Degree (LL.M.) in Business Law from Ilia State University. In July 2019 Davit graduated from International Commercial Arbitration Law (ICAL) Program at Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden) earning his second LL.M. degree.
Currently, Davit is a Ph.D candidate at Department of Law of Tbilisi State University (TSU) (Tbilisi, Georgia).
Davit is a member of Georgian Bar Association and is admitted to practice law in Georgia.
In addition to his native Georgian, Davit speaks fluent English and has a fair command of Russian and German.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."
Zaza Bibilashvili is able to suggest winning strategies and is active across a range of contentious and non-contentious work, including real estate and intellectual property matters. Previous comments include: BGI Legal fields ‘a team of true professionals with good knowledge of law and a proper understanding of business needs`. It provides full-service support to leading multinational and Georgian clients, handling general legal matters alongside more complex financing, M&A, dispute resolution and capital markets mandates.
Lasha Gogiberidze maintains an excellent reputation for his expertise in capital markets and project finance, handling some of the market's most prominent lending transactions. Clients highlight him as an "open-minded" practitioner who "always comes up with a good solution" and provides advice which is "straight to the point and concise." Zaza Bibilashvili has experience of handling some of the biggest mandates in the market, most recently advising on substantial real estate projects. He is also a noted practitioner in the dispute resolution arena.