Davit Kakoishvili is a senior associate at BGI Legal and heads the criminal law desk at the firm. In addition to criminal law, his areas of practice include civil litigation and arbitration as well as , employment and corporate law.
Davit is a Visiting Lecturer and Clinical Supervisor at Business Law Clinic at Free University of Tbilisi. He helps LL.B and LL.M students in developing core competencies needed for successful lawyering.
A brief selection of his notable engagements includes the following:
- Represented the interests of foreign investors operating in various fields of business before the Georgian Courts;
- Represented oil and gas investment company in successfully defended investor-state dispute;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia (producer of fertilizers) concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor (local bank);
- Represented the minority shareholder of the investment company operating in the energy market in the biggest ever (from a financial standpoint) and successfully negotiated appraisal litigation;
- Represented the interest of one of the biggest investment companies in the oil industry in employment litigation.
- Represented the applicant - Former Prime Minister of Georgia before the Grand Chamber of European Court of Human Rights in winning landmark case Merabishvili v. Georgia, where a violation of Article 18 was established by the Grand Chamber for the first case ever.
- Represented the applicants before the Chamber of European Court of Human Rights within the framework of cases Ugulava v. Georgia and Ninua v. Georgia.
- Represented former President of Georgia in three criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
- Representing former Minister of Justice of Georgia in two criminal cases before the Chief Prosecutors Office of Georgia and the national courts.
- Represented numerous foreign commercial banks and other companies having the status of a victim before the prosecutorial authorities.
- Represented former head of the Procurement Department of the Ministry of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended criminal cases.
- Aided attorneys of former Minister of Defense of Georgia in successfully defended extradition case before the UK national court.
- Represented the interest of a number of persons before INTERPOL in successfully communicated cases where INTERPOL withdrew red notices or failed to put the persons on the international wanted list.
Mr. Kakoishvili holds a Bachelor’s Degree (LL.B.) in Law from Free University of Tbilisi and a Master’s Degree (LL.M.) in Business Law from Ilia State University. In July 2019 Davit graduated from International Commercial Arbitration Law (ICAL) Program at Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden) earning his second LL.M. degree.
Currently, Davit is a Ph.D candidate at Department of Law of Tbilisi State University (TSU) (Tbilisi, Georgia).
Davit is a member of Georgian Bar Association and is admitted to practice law in Georgia.
In addition to his native Georgian, Davit speaks fluent English and has a fair command of Russian and German.
BGI Legal is ‘exceptional' in M&A, financing and real estate, and is especially prominent in the energy sector. Lasha Gogiberidze, whom clients regard as ‘the top lawyer in Georgia for banking, finance and capital markets transactions', and Sandro Bibilashvili handled a number of innovative regional energy projects and joint ventures, such as the Adjaristsqali hydropower project.
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."
The four-partner team at BGI Legal provides a ‘responsive, proactive and solution-oriented service to a wide range of international corporates both directly and on a referral basis from major international law firms; it has built a strong reputation acting for investors and lenders on many of the country s largest projects. The ‘excellent Lasha Gogiberidze has led the team s work in several major energy mandates, including advising an Asian investor on a hydropower project. Gogiberidze is also regularly involved in financing work, including inter-bank lending, regulatory lending (to comply with capital adequacy requirements) and capital markets work, where Unana Gogokhia is also establishing a strong reputation.