Ekaterina is counsel with BGI Legal. Prior to joining the firm, Ekaterina worked for Ernst & Young Legal and GCG Law Office. Her key fields of specialization are corporate and commercial law, property law, employment law, environmental law, aviation, secured transactions, as well as banking, corporate finance and lending, capital markets, etc.
A brief selection of her most recent representations include the following:
- Acted as legal counsel to Paddy Power Betfair PLC on the acquisition of a majority stake in Adjarabet, the largest online gaming business in Georgia, in a transaction valued at EUR 116 million;
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgias recent history;
- Acted as legal counsel to a local company in connection with an investment transaction for the construction of an oil refinery;
- Represented a foreign investor in a real estate acquisition transaction and acted as legal counsel in connection with business centre operations;
- Represented an investor in a corporate acquisition transaction;
- Acted as legal counsel to investors in connection with liquidation of braches in Georgia;
- Acted as legal counsel to pharmaceutical companies on structuring of employment relationships and employment termination matters;
- Advised a foreign company in connection with distribution contracts;
- Represented a foreign investor in connection with amendments to a secured lending transaction;
- Advised a commercial bank in connection with pending litigation;
- Advised IFC in connection with financing of a hydropower plant development project;
- Acted as legal counsel to a foreign investor on a secured lending to a mining company;
- Represented an international oil company on a transaction involving withdrawal from a local joint venture company;
- Advised a private investor in connection with divestiture strategy;
- Acted as legal counsel to IFC on an unsecured loan transaction with a local commercial bank;
- Advised an aircraft company in connection with land acquisition transaction and corporate structuring matters;
- Advised IFC on the pending East West Highway concession project;
- Acted for an aircraft owner on a pending operational lease project;
- Advised issuer oil company in connection with assets and oil exploration and extraction project in Georgia for pending listing at London Stock Exchange;
- Acted for underwriters on pending REG S 144A bond offering by a commercial bank;
- Acted for a private investor in a privatization deal for the development of an international resort on the Black Sea coast of Georgia;
- Advised joint lead managers in the first ever placement of sovereign bonds by the State of Georgia;
- Acted for underwriters on bond offering at London Stock Exchange by a commercial bank;
- Advised joint lead managers in placement of bonds by a Georgian state-owned railway company;
- Represented a private investor in acquisition of a systemic commercial bank in Georgia;
- Advised issuer commercial bank in connection with its subsidiary in Georgia for IPO on Frankfurt Stock Exchange;
- Advised Millennium Challenge Georgia on various aspects of Samtkhe-Javakheti Road Rehabilitation Project;
- Assisted a global consulting and engineering firm in advising the Ministry of Energy of Georgia on launch of a tender with the purpose of outsourcing to a private investor construction of a large HP plant cascade in Georgia;
- Represented a number of IFIs on various secured and unsecured and project finance deals;
- Advised IFIs and foreign based banks on a number of lending arrangements vis-à-vis commercial banks in Georgia, including senior and subordinated loan arrangements;
- Advised an issuer oil company in connection with its assets in Georgia for IPO listing on London Stock Exchange;
- Advised one of the largest oil companies in connection with a number of oil and gas transportation and other projects in Georgia;
- Acted for a number of state-owned companies on a various equity sale deals involving material facilities, such as the largest sea port in Georgia, telecommunication networks, etc;
- Acted for a number of private investors on various privatization deals;
- Advised a number of private companies on corporate restructuring matters;
- Represented a private investor in a deal for the acquisition of one of the largest mining company in Georgia;
- Advised a private equity fund in an acquisition of the largest mobile network operator;
- Acted for the Embassies of UK, US, Israel, Netherland and France and World Bank on real estate transactions.
Ekaterina received her first legal degree with highest honors from the Technical University of Georgia (1999) and LL.M from the University of Augsburg, Germany (2003). She has been a member of the Georgian Bar Association since 2005.
In addition to Georgian, which is her native language, Ekaterina is fluent in English, German and Russian and has basic knowledge in Spanish.
Excellent team known for acting on high-profile and significant mandates. Clients commend the team's expertise, saying: "They are all very solid, have excellent knowledge, are hard-working and give great practical advice." They further praised the service adding that the lawyers are "client-oriented, quite patient and understand the client's internal procedures."
Lasha Gogiberidze maintains an excellent reputation for his expertise in capital markets and project finance, handling some of the market's most prominent lending transactions. Clients highlight him as an "open-minded" practitioner who "always comes up with a good solution" and provides advice which is "straight to the point and concise." Zaza Bibilashvili has experience of handling some of the biggest mandates in the market, most recently advising on substantial real estate projects. He is also a noted practitioner in the dispute resolution arena.
"One of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work". Client feedback: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction. Strong knowledge." - Banking and finance, Restructuring and insolvency. Of Lasha Gogiberidze: "Good communication skills, responsive." Previous comments have included: "BGI Legal is one of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work...Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget". Lasha Gogiberidze is described as "prompt and quick to point out problems and pitfalls".