Ivan Khokhlov is an independent attorney associated with BGI.
Ivan has over 20 years of professional experience in a variety of practice areas and industries, including in corporate & commercial, M&A, project finance, litigation and arbitration. Throughout his work Ivan has acted for clients in power & utilities, mining, telecommunications, agriculture, FMCG and legal policy reform initiatives.
Prior to joining BGI Ivan has led on the law practice of EY in Georgia. In addition, Ivan has worked as a legal director on corporate and M&A practice matters at DLA Piper in Georgia, and is the founding partner of a Georgian law firm BLC.
Ivan’s select experience includes:
- Advising Georgian banks on corporate and compliance matters;
- Representing the Ministry of Finance of Georgia in FATCA agreement negotiations and process implementation;
- Advising an international telecom company in respect to an M&A transaction involving Georgia’s largest telecom operator;
- Assisting the leading Georgian gold & copper mining company, RMG Copper & Gold, in corporate matters and with respect to a multi-jurisdictional civil dispute;
- Assisting a leading Georgian manganese mining and ferroalloy production, Georgian Manganese, in tax and environmental controversies, trade-union matters, personnel restructuring and civil disputes;
- Representing Dubai World in due diligence review of Poti Sea Port;
- Representing the Government of Georgia in an ICSID arbitration;
- Representing Marussia Beverages in relation to its investment in Chateau Mukhrani;
- Representing InterRao UES in in acquisition and restructuring of Tbilisi Power Distribution Network and four power plants;
- Acting for a French beverages group, Castel Group, in international disputes and arbitration proceedings, acting as a board member of the group with respect to the group’s Georgian activities;
- Assisting the Government of Georgia and IFIs in developing various laws, including the Postal Law, amendments to the Tax Code, the Law on Securities, forestry legislation.
Ivan holds an LLM degree from the George Washington University Law School in Comparative & International Law (1996), as well as an LLM from the Central European University Law School in Comparative Constitutional Law (1995). Ivan obtained his law degree from Tbilisi State University International Law Department in 1994.
In addition to native Georgian, Ivan is fluent in Russian and English.
"One of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work". Client feedback: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction. Strong knowledge." - Banking and finance, Restructuring and insolvency. Of Lasha Gogiberidze: "Good communication skills, responsive." Previous comments have included: "BGI Legal is one of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work...Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget". Lasha Gogiberidze is described as "prompt and quick to point out problems and pitfalls".
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.
Excellent team known for acting on high-profile and significant mandates. Clients commend the team's expertise, saying: "They are all very solid, have excellent knowledge, are hard-working and give great practical advice." They further praised the service adding that the lawyers are "client-oriented, quite patient and understand the client's internal procedures."