Salome Meladze is a junior associate at BGI Legal. Her responsibilities include conducting due diligence as well as representing clients in various proceedings before state bodies in Georgia. Salome has experience in assisting BGI litigation team in complex litigations, involving, inter alia, intellectual property law and construction law matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Salome worked at LPA Law Firm, where she specialized in general commercial and corporate law. Her professional experience also includes working at the Human Rights Centre of the Supreme Court of Georgia, where she prepared analysis of ECtHR case law.
Mrs. Meladze’s notable engagements include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia’s recent history;
- Represented a foreign company before the courts of Georgia in a complex dispute involving cancellation of domain names incorporating a trademark;
- Represented a foreign investor in defamation case before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented a foreign investor before a local municipality and the courts of Georgia in a dispute involving termination of the service contract;
- Represented a foreign investor before the courts of Georgia in a dispute arising out of the construction agreement;
- Represented local and foreign companies in various corporate registration proceedings before state bodies in Georgia; and
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, banking and insurance.
Salome graduated from LL.B programme of Free University of Tbilisi. During her student years, Salome has successfully participated in different international moot court competitions, including, Central and Eastern European Moot Court Competition (Warsaw, Poland) and Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA). Salome is also a finalist of International Humanitarian Law Moot Court organized by International Committee of the Red Cross (Kakheti, Georgia).
Together with her native Georgian, Salome is fluent in English and Russian languages.
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."
BGI Legal is ‘exceptional' in M&A, financing and real estate, and is especially prominent in the energy sector. Lasha Gogiberidze, whom clients regard as ‘the top lawyer in Georgia for banking, finance and capital markets transactions', and Sandro Bibilashvili handled a number of innovative regional energy projects and joint ventures, such as the Adjaristsqali hydropower project.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."