Salome Meladze is a junior associate at BGI Legal. Her responsibilities include conducting due diligence as well as representing clients in various proceedings before state bodies in Georgia. Salome has experience in assisting BGI litigation team in complex litigations, involving, inter alia, intellectual property law and construction law matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Salome worked at LPA Law Firm, where she specialized in general commercial and corporate law. Her professional experience also includes working at the Human Rights Centre of the Supreme Court of Georgia, where she prepared analysis of ECtHR case law.
Mrs. Meladze’s notable engagements include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia’s recent history;
- Represented a foreign company before the courts of Georgia in a complex dispute involving cancellation of domain names incorporating a trademark;
- Represented a foreign investor in defamation case before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented a foreign investor before a local municipality and the courts of Georgia in a dispute involving termination of the service contract;
- Represented a foreign investor before the courts of Georgia in a dispute arising out of the construction agreement;
- Represented local and foreign companies in various corporate registration proceedings before state bodies in Georgia; and
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, banking and insurance.
Salome graduated from LL.B programme of Free University of Tbilisi. During her student years, Salome has successfully participated in different international moot court competitions, including, Central and Eastern European Moot Court Competition (Warsaw, Poland) and Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA). Salome is also a finalist of International Humanitarian Law Moot Court organized by International Committee of the Red Cross (Kakheti, Georgia).
Together with her native Georgian, Salome is fluent in English and Russian languages.
Legal director Unana Gogokhia focuses on financial transactions, and stands out for her experience of capital markets and derivatives. Clients appreciate her ability to "look at the issue very scrupulously and bring up points in the transaction that none of the other parties spotted." Sandro Bibilashvili is increasingly recognised in the market. He is involved in some of the firm's biggest project finance mandates and has recently been active working on energy projects. Counsel Tamara Tevdoradze enters the rankings on the back of positive praise. "She is very reliable, accurate and punctual, thinks in a very logical way and has very strong arguments," a client says
BGI Legal is ‘exceptional' in M&A, financing and real estate, and is especially prominent in the energy sector. Lasha Gogiberidze, whom clients regard as ‘the top lawyer in Georgia for banking, finance and capital markets transactions', and Sandro Bibilashvili handled a number of innovative regional energy projects and joint ventures, such as the Adjaristsqali hydropower project.
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."