Salome Meladze is a junior associate at BGI Legal. Her responsibilities include conducting due diligence as well as representing clients in various proceedings before state bodies in Georgia. Salome has experience in assisting BGI litigation team in complex litigations, involving, inter alia, intellectual property law and construction law matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Salome worked at LPA Law Firm, where she specialized in general commercial and corporate law. Her professional experience also includes working at the Human Rights Centre of the Supreme Court of Georgia, where she prepared analysis of ECtHR case law.
Mrs. Meladze’s notable engagements include the following:
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia’s recent history;
- Represented a foreign company before the courts of Georgia in a complex dispute involving cancellation of domain names incorporating a trademark;
- Represented a foreign investor in defamation case before the courts of Georgia;
- Represented a foreign investor before a local municipality and the courts of Georgia in a dispute involving termination of the service contract;
- Represented a foreign investor before the courts of Georgia in a dispute arising out of the construction agreement;
- Represented local and foreign companies in various corporate registration proceedings before state bodies in Georgia; and
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, banking and insurance.
Salome graduated from LL.B programme of Free University of Tbilisi. During her student years, Salome has successfully participated in different international moot court competitions, including, Central and Eastern European Moot Court Competition (Warsaw, Poland) and Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington DC, USA). Salome is also a finalist of International Humanitarian Law Moot Court organized by International Committee of the Red Cross (Kakheti, Georgia).
Together with her native Georgian, Salome is fluent in English and Russian languages.
The four-partner team at BGI Legal provides a ‘responsive, proactive and solution-oriented service to a wide range of international corporates both directly and on a referral basis from major international law firms; it has built a strong reputation acting for investors and lenders on many of the country s largest projects. The ‘excellent Lasha Gogiberidze has led the team s work in several major energy mandates, including advising an Asian investor on a hydropower project. Gogiberidze is also regularly involved in financing work, including inter-bank lending, regulatory lending (to comply with capital adequacy requirements) and capital markets work, where Unana Gogokhia is also establishing a strong reputation.
Legal director Unana Gogokhia focuses on financial transactions, and stands out for her experience of capital markets and derivatives. Clients appreciate her ability to "look at the issue very scrupulously and bring up points in the transaction that none of the other parties spotted." Sandro Bibilashvili is increasingly recognised in the market. He is involved in some of the firm's biggest project finance mandates and has recently been active working on energy projects. Counsel Tamara Tevdoradze enters the rankings on the back of positive praise. "She is very reliable, accurate and punctual, thinks in a very logical way and has very strong arguments," a client says
"One of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work". Client feedback: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction. Strong knowledge." - Banking and finance, Restructuring and insolvency. Of Lasha Gogiberidze: "Good communication skills, responsive." Previous comments have included: "BGI Legal is one of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work...Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget". Lasha Gogiberidze is described as "prompt and quick to point out problems and pitfalls".