Giorgi (George) Sarajishvili is Head of Litigation Practice at BGI Advisory Services Georgia, based in Tbilisi. Mr. Sarajishvili joined the firm in September 2010 after earning his Master degree in International Commercial Law at Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Prior to joining the firm Mr. Sarajishvili served as a Senior Specialist at the Division of International Cooperation at the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia. His responsibilities covered intergovernmental negotiations and reporting to international organizations. Professional experience of Mr. Sarajishvili includes a practice at the Office of the State Minister for Civil Integration Issues (short-term contractual employee) and Tbilisi City Court (legal intern).
Mr. Sarajishvilis practice areas cover litigation, arbitration, intellectual property, taxation and corporate law. His notable engagements include the following:
- Represented the interests of foreign investors operating in various fields of business in Georgian Courts;
- Represented foreign companies in local procedures for recognition and enforcement of foreign awards;
- Advised and represented Apple, Facebook, Hewlett-Packard, Ferrero group, Amazon.com, Sony Corporation and other international companies on Intellectual Property matters;
- Represented a client in the biggest ever (from financial standpoint) matrimonial case in Georgia;
- Represented the interests of one of the largest companies in Georgia (producer of fertilizers) concerning a dispute over the legality of auctioning all its assets (worth over USD 100 mln) by the creditor (local bank);
- Successfully established the court practice on veil piercing in private disputes in a case representing the interests of a subsidiary of the international commodity giant Glencore;
- In representing the interests of Facebook.Inc, established a court practice on the cancellation of domain names incorporating a trademark;
- Successfully completed two landmark cases in favour of multinational confectionary giant Ferrero Group, establishing standards for: a) the registration of a trademark which "acquired distinctiveness through usage," b) the exception from general prohibition of the registration of a geographical indication as a trademark;
- Revised a taxation section of the Prospectus of the Georgian Government for the issuance of sovereign debt securities at an amount of USD 500 mln;
- Revised a taxation section of the Prospectus of a Georgian bank for the issuance of Securities for the London Stock Exchange;
- Represented the Georgian Government in bilateral negotiations with the European Commission on Visa Facilitation and Readmission Agreements.
Mr. Sarajishvili was a successful participant at international moot court competitions - Vis International Commercial Moot Arbitration (Vienna, Austria), Jessup Moot Court Competition (Washington, the USA), Price International Media Law Moot Court Competition (Oxford, Great Britain), Central and Eastern European Moot Competition (Poznan, Poland), etc.
Together with his native Georgian, Mr. Sarajishvili is fluent in English and Russian.
"One of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work". Client feedback: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction. Strong knowledge." - Banking and finance, Restructuring and insolvency. Of Lasha Gogiberidze: "Good communication skills, responsive." Previous comments have included: "BGI Legal is one of the leading firms in Georgia adept at both finance and corporate work...Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget". Lasha Gogiberidze is described as "prompt and quick to point out problems and pitfalls".
Excellent team known for acting on high-profile and significant mandates. Clients commend the team's expertise, saying: "They are all very solid, have excellent knowledge, are hard-working and give great practical advice." They further praised the service adding that the lawyers are "client-oriented, quite patient and understand the client's internal procedures."
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."