Sandro (Vasil) is a partner in BGI Advisory Services Georgia and BGI Legal. Mr. Bibilashvili joined the firm in January 2002 as a paralegal, before continuing to enhance his legal education in Europe. Prior to rejoining the firm in August 2005, Mr. Bibilashvili served as an associate at Business & Legal Consulting LLC, one of the prominent law firms in Georgia. Professional experience of Mr. Bibilashvili includes spells at the Office of Congressman Bernard Sanders (I), Burlington, VT, USA (legal intern) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia, Department of International Law, Tbilisi, Georgia (legal intern).
Mr. Bibilashvili graduated with honors from Tbilisi State University (TSU), Department of Law, earning a professional degree in law. He holds LL.M. degree in International Business Law from Central European University (CEU), Budapest, Hungary. In addition, he successfully completed a program in Political Science at the University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, USA. In May 2011 Sandro graduated from Duke University School of Law (Durham, NC, USA) earning his second LL.M. degree.
Mr. Bibilashvili was part of the TSU team recognized as the best respondents at the international moot court competition held at the International Court of Justice, The Hague, The Netherlands. While at CEU, he has conducted an independent research at UNIDROIT (International Institute for the Unification of Private Law), Rome, Italy, in the field of international franchising.
In September 2012 Sandro received international accreditation from Center for Effective Dispute Resolution (London, UK) and is now a CEDR accredited mediator.
Mr Bibilashvili specializes in mergers & acquisitions, real estate & construction, energy and oil & gas, labour law, litigation, arbitration & mediation, securities, contracts, corporate and commercial law and environmental law.Key practice areas include: mergers & acquisitions, real estate & construction, energy and oil & gas, labour law, litigation, arbitration & mediation, securities, contracts, corporate and commercial law, environmental law.
Sandro has been a member of the Georgian Bar Association since 2006.
Languages: Georgian (native), English (fluent), Russian (fluent).
His prior key engagements include:
- Advised IFIs in financing 434 MW cascade in the Western Georgia.
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgias recent history.
- Represented a Luxembourg bank in a Georgian litigation involving assets of one of the largest industrial enterprises in Georgia.
- Advised a Georgian-American consortium on development of legal framework for establishing a special economic zone and a privately managed charter city in western-Georgia.
- Represented a member of one of the largest utility and energy groups in Europe in a dispute with the largest private investment fund in Georgia.
- Represented a major European oil & gas company in a shareholder dispute involving operating licensed blocks in the Eastern Georgia.
- Advised major Chinese enterprise in respect of proposed M&A deal involving potential large HPP cascade in Georgia.
- Advised a foreign government agency on developing a 280 MW hydropower plant jointly with a state-owned investment fund of Georgia.
- Advised the largest Japanese electric utility company in respect of the proposed acquisition of stake in a large hydropower project in Georgia.
- Represented a large European infrastructure company in a procurement-related dispute with the Georgian authorities.
- Represented the largest bottler and distributor of soft drinks in Georgia in a successful refusal of recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral award in Georgia.
- Advised a major Georgian-American manufacturer of ferroalloys in relation to a dispute with environmental authorities.
- Represented the large Chinese energy company in connection with the real estate privatization deal.
- Represented joint lead managers in connection with refinancing of 2012 Eurobonds by the national oil company of Georgia.
- Advised major Italian manufacturer in connection with the municipal procurement in Georgia.
- Advised the joint bookrunners in connection with the IPO and listing on LSE of one of the leading commercial banks of Georgia.
- Represented number of IFIs in USD 250 million financing of one of the largest hydropower plants in Georgia.
- Represented one of the leading research and educational institutions in Georgia in a number of commercial and employment disputes as well as advised in respect of various regulatory matters.
- Advised a major Turkish construction company in respect of development of seven small and medium sized HPPs in Georgia.
- Advised Georgian franchisee of the major US franchise in international arbitration against its supplier.
- Represented a large UK trade organization representing whisky industry in number of IP disputes.
- Represented one of the worlds largest brewing groups in litigation against its Georgian distributor.
- Advised a foreign reinsurer on a potential insurance litigation matter.
- Represented a major multinational manufacturer of medical, pharmaceutical and consumer-packaged goods in litigation against its Georgian distributor.
- Represented a major foreign manufacturer of alcoholic beverages in IP litigation in Georgia.
- Advised British receivers regarding potential litigation against a Georgian bank.
- Represented joint global coordinators in London IPO of one of the largest commercial banks of Georgia.
- Advised one of the largest commercial banks in Georgia in respect of a multi-million lawsuit.
- Represented a large foreign investor in negotiating with the Government of Georgia a privatization deal and associated commercial real estate development project in downtown Tbilisi.
- Advised a major oil company on multi-million real estate project in Georgia.
- Advised a major international insurance group on restructuring its Georgian operations.
- Advised a large ship management group in privatization negotiations with the Government of Georgia.
- Represented a foreign-based business in multi-million recognition and enforcement proceedings in Georgia.
- Advised major oil company on a large environmental project.
- Represented joint lead managers on issuance of USD 250 million bonds by Georgian national oil company.
- Advised large European banks on a USD 45 million loan facility agreement.
- Represented large Georgian bank in obtaining USD 33 term loan facility from the Dutch financial institution.
- Represented a large multi-national franchise in negotiations for securing OPIC loan facility.
- Represented a major oil company in numerous commercial disputes.
- Represented major American insurance company in an insurance dispute.
- Represented a large Central European investor in several real estate development projects.
- Represented a major international tobacco company in various ongoing legal matters, participated in legislative drafting in the Parliament on its behalf.
- Assisted various foreign embassies in Georgia in various land and real estate-related transactions.
- Represented a joint lead manager in IPO of a large Georgian company.
- Conducted a due diligence review of one of the largest state-owned companies of Georgia for privatization purposes.
- Acted as a counsel of a large US-Government funded project in Georgia.
- Conducted a due diligence exercise of the largest commercial bank of Georgia on behalf of a large Eastern European bank.
- Advised and represented several European and Middle East based investors in acquisition of real estate in Georgia and negotiations for development of such real estate.
- Contributed to the World Bank and International Financial Corporation study of Georgian legal environment.
- Conducted a large environmental research project for a major multinational oil company.
- Conducted a due diligence review of the largest mobile operator company of Georgia.
- Advised and represented a large foreign investor and negotiated with the Government officials in a deal to transfer mineral extraction licenses.
- Conducted a due diligence review of a Georgian company engaged in copper exploration and extraction activities, for the purposes of M&A.
- Undertook numerous due diligence studies of Georgian companies for the purposes of privatization, including privatization of the largest gold mining company.
- Advised a large German financial enterprise on the issues of acquisition of Poti Port.
- Advised a foreign investor and conducted a due diligence review of one of the largest railway factories in Georgia for the purposes of privatization.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."