Sophie is Senior Associate with BGI Legal. She joined the firm in 2008 working as a Paralegal. Her main practice areas include project finance, secured transactions, real estate, property and land, share transfers and acquisitions, M&A, employment, corporate registrations and incorporation, legal due diligence, as well as general business law, corporate and commercial law. In addition to offering legal advice, Sophie is authorized to conduct registrations related to companies and immovable property through certified access to LEPL National Agency of Public Registry under the Ministry of Justice of Georgia.
A brief selection of her most recent key engagements includes the following:
- Advised an IFI on Georgian law aspects of the transaction involving financing of the development and construction of mid-range hotel in Tbilisi to be managed by Hilton under the Hilton Garden Inn brand (value of the project - USD 31,000,000);
- Advised IFI on financing of the energy efficient, affordable housing project to be completed by the leading local developer (USD 23,000,000);
- Represented IFIs and major foreign banks in a number of project finance deals;
- Advised a global food & beverage giant in one of the largest multi-jurisdictional M&A deals in Georgia ’s recent history;
- Advised a foreign investor in connection with USD 5,000,000 transaction involving acquisition of landmark building;
- Advised a local development company in connection with issuing bonds;
- Represented a major Israeli based investment company in connection with acquisition of local business, structuring of the transaction, merger, acquisition of real estate and execution of a joint venture agreement with local partners;
- Advised a major Israeli based distribution company in connection with various corporate matters;
- Advised a large foreign real estate development company in relation to various legal issues, including loans and security instruments, employment and real estate transactions;
- Advised one of the largest international charity organizations in connection with its operations in Georgia;
- Advised a major Dutch based investment company on various legal matters;
- Advised a large Dutch based real estate development company in relation to real estate transactions in Georgia;
- Advised a large international oil company on various legislative and regulatory issues (including environmental regulations);
- Advised one of the largest international Jewish charities regarding its operations in Georgia;
- Assisted the Embassies of United Kingdom, Israel and the Netherlands in various land and real estate-related transactions;
- Advised a number of foreign based companies on various legal matters, including acquisition of real estate in Georgia, establishment of subsidiaries and branches, share transfers and acquisitions and employment;
- Participated in HPP Projects;
- Advised a major US based religious organization on various legal issues, including immigration law and real estate transactions;
- Advised a major US based non-commercial corporation on numerous legal issues, including corporate matters and employment;
- Advised an aircraft owner in connection with security instrument for aircraft lease.
- Acted as legal counsel to Paddy Power Betfair PLC on the acquisition of a majority stake in Adjarabet, the largest online gaming business in Georgia, in a transaction valued at EUR 116 million;
- Conducted the due diligence of a major insurance company in Georgia for the purposes of IPO listing on London Stock Exchange;
- Conducted the due diligence of a major telecommunications company in Georgia for the purposes of implementation of the company and shareholder restructuring;
- Conducted the due diligence of a major Georgian company for the purposes of refinancing bonds;
- Conducted the due diligence of a major mobile company in Georgia;
- Advised a number of foreign companies and individuals on immigration regulations, including visa/residence permit rules and procedures;
- Advised a major US based news gathering agency on various corporate matters;
- Advised one of the largest international technology companies regarding corporate matters.
Sophie obtained her first degree in Law from Tbilisi State University in 2010.
In addition to her native Georgian, Sophie speaks fluent English and Russian.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.
Legal director Unana Gogokhia focuses on financial transactions, and stands out for her experience of capital markets and derivatives. Clients appreciate her ability to "look at the issue very scrupulously and bring up points in the transaction that none of the other parties spotted." Sandro Bibilashvili is increasingly recognised in the market. He is involved in some of the firm's biggest project finance mandates and has recently been active working on energy projects. Counsel Tamara Tevdoradze enters the rankings on the back of positive praise. "She is very reliable, accurate and punctual, thinks in a very logical way and has very strong arguments," a client says
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."