Lika Topuria joined BGI Legal as an associate in 2014. Her main practice areas include intellectual property, pharmaceutical law, IT and telecommunications, tax law, product safety and compliance, employment, general commercial and corporate law, litigation and dispute resolution.
Prior to Joining the firm, Mrs. Topuria practiced as an associate with the legal consulting company, BDO Legal, a member of BDO International Limited, where she was involved in major investment transactions, reorganization of enterprises and organizations, tax advisory services and legal due diligence studies.
A brief selection of her notable engagements includes the following:
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle before the Intellectual Property Centre, winning a landmark case in IP Law of Georgia by achieving registration of a trademark based on exceptional legal grounds - "distinctiveness acquired trough use";
- Represented interests of foreign investors and local companies operating in various fields of business before Georgian Courts in commercial disputes;
- Advised several major pharmaceutical companies in connection with various regulatory matters, inter alia registration, advertising, import and labeling of pharmaceutical products, including products under special control, as well as particularities of promotional activities towards healthcare professionals and medical centres under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a leading biopharmaceutical company advancing innovative therapies in hematology, immunology, and oncology in connection with manufacturing transition and change of a business model in Georgia;
- Advised a major multinational technology company specializing in internet-related services in connection with launching and operating a localized version of a famous video-sharing website, as well as on content related issues in the field of telecommunications for launching an application for minors;
- Advised one of the largest international Jewish charity organizations in connection with restructuring of their operations in Georgia, as well as tax related liabilities of such restructuring;
- Advised a US based religious organization on application of taxes with respect to the operation of its programme in Georgia;
- Advised several foreign product-manufacturing companies on various product-safety related matters, including advertising rules, labeling and other compliance requirements foreseen under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a worldwide leading humanitarian organization with respect to internal labour regulations;
- Advised an aircraft owner on regulatory matters related to aircrafts and related issues under the laws of Georgia, such as security assignments, liens and similar possessory rights of detention;
- Advised a major foreign industrial vehicle manufacturing company on major state procurement-related matters;
- Advised a major Dutch based investment private equity fund on insolvency proceedings;
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, energy resources, banking and insurance.
Lika obtained her first legal degree with honors from Tbilisi State University in 2008. In 2010, she received her degree of Master of Laws from Tbilisi State University, Department of Law. She has attended extensive professional study courses at the Georgian Young Lawyers Association specializing in civil law and has also completed a special joint certification programme of the International Finance Corporation in Corporate and Banking Law.
She is a member of the Georgian Bar Association.
Together with her native Georgian, Lika is fluent in Russian and English.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."