Lika Topuria joined BGI Legal as an associate in 2014. Her main practice areas include intellectual property, pharmaceutical law, IT and telecommunications, tax law, product safety and compliance, employment, general commercial and corporate law, litigation and dispute resolution.
Prior to Joining the firm, Mrs. Topuria practiced as an associate with the legal consulting company, BDO Legal, a member of BDO International Limited, where she was involved in major investment transactions, reorganization of enterprises and organizations, tax advisory services and legal due diligence studies.
A brief selection of her notable engagements includes the following:
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle before the Intellectual Property Centre, winning a landmark case in IP Law of Georgia by achieving registration of a trademark based on exceptional legal grounds - "distinctiveness acquired trough use";
- Represented interests of foreign investors and local companies operating in various fields of business before Georgian Courts in commercial disputes;
- Advised several major pharmaceutical companies in connection with various regulatory matters, inter alia registration, advertising, import and labeling of pharmaceutical products, including products under special control, as well as particularities of promotional activities towards healthcare professionals and medical centres under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a leading biopharmaceutical company advancing innovative therapies in hematology, immunology, and oncology in connection with manufacturing transition and change of a business model in Georgia;
- Advised a major multinational technology company specializing in internet-related services in connection with launching and operating a localized version of a famous video-sharing website, as well as on content related issues in the field of telecommunications for launching an application for minors;
- Advised one of the largest international Jewish charity organizations in connection with restructuring of their operations in Georgia, as well as tax related liabilities of such restructuring;
- Advised a US based religious organization on application of taxes with respect to the operation of its programme in Georgia;
- Advised several foreign product-manufacturing companies on various product-safety related matters, including advertising rules, labeling and other compliance requirements foreseen under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a worldwide leading humanitarian organization with respect to internal labour regulations;
- Advised an aircraft owner on regulatory matters related to aircrafts and related issues under the laws of Georgia, such as security assignments, liens and similar possessory rights of detention;
- Advised a major foreign industrial vehicle manufacturing company on major state procurement-related matters;
- Advised a major Dutch based investment private equity fund on insolvency proceedings;
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, energy resources, banking and insurance.
Lika obtained her first legal degree with honors from Tbilisi State University in 2008. In 2010, she received her degree of Master of Laws from Tbilisi State University, Department of Law. She has attended extensive professional study courses at the Georgian Young Lawyers Association specializing in civil law and has also completed a special joint certification programme of the International Finance Corporation in Corporate and Banking Law.
She is a member of the Georgian Bar Association.
Together with her native Georgian, Lika is fluent in Russian and English.
Excellent team known for acting on high-profile and significant mandates. Clients commend the team's expertise, saying: "They are all very solid, have excellent knowledge, are hard-working and give great practical advice." They further praised the service adding that the lawyers are "client-oriented, quite patient and understand the client's internal procedures."
Lasha Gogiberidze maintains an excellent reputation for his expertise in capital markets and project finance, handling some of the market's most prominent lending transactions. Clients highlight him as an "open-minded" practitioner who "always comes up with a good solution" and provides advice which is "straight to the point and concise." Zaza Bibilashvili has experience of handling some of the biggest mandates in the market, most recently advising on substantial real estate projects. He is also a noted practitioner in the dispute resolution arena.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."