Lika Topuria joined BGI Legal as an associate in 2014. Her main practice areas include intellectual property, pharmaceutical law, IT and telecommunications, tax law, product safety and compliance, employment, general commercial and corporate law, litigation and dispute resolution.
Prior to Joining the firm, Mrs. Topuria practiced as an associate with the legal consulting company, BDO Legal, a member of BDO International Limited, where she was involved in major investment transactions, reorganization of enterprises and organizations, tax advisory services and legal due diligence studies.
A brief selection of her notable engagements includes the following:
- Represented a multinational confectionary giant enterprise in a complex legal battle before the Intellectual Property Centre, winning a landmark case in IP Law of Georgia by achieving registration of a trademark based on exceptional legal grounds - "distinctiveness acquired trough use";
- Represented interests of foreign investors and local companies operating in various fields of business before Georgian Courts in commercial disputes;
- Advised several major pharmaceutical companies in connection with various regulatory matters, inter alia registration, advertising, import and labeling of pharmaceutical products, including products under special control, as well as particularities of promotional activities towards healthcare professionals and medical centres under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a leading biopharmaceutical company advancing innovative therapies in hematology, immunology, and oncology in connection with manufacturing transition and change of a business model in Georgia;
- Advised a major multinational technology company specializing in internet-related services in connection with launching and operating a localized version of a famous video-sharing website, as well as on content related issues in the field of telecommunications for launching an application for minors;
- Advised one of the largest international Jewish charity organizations in connection with restructuring of their operations in Georgia, as well as tax related liabilities of such restructuring;
- Advised a US based religious organization on application of taxes with respect to the operation of its programme in Georgia;
- Advised several foreign product-manufacturing companies on various product-safety related matters, including advertising rules, labeling and other compliance requirements foreseen under the laws of Georgia;
- Advised a worldwide leading humanitarian organization with respect to internal labour regulations;
- Advised an aircraft owner on regulatory matters related to aircrafts and related issues under the laws of Georgia, such as security assignments, liens and similar possessory rights of detention;
- Advised a major foreign industrial vehicle manufacturing company on major state procurement-related matters;
- Advised a major Dutch based investment private equity fund on insolvency proceedings;
- Participated in various due diligence studies of local companies operating in different fields, including, inter alia, telecommunications, energy resources, banking and insurance.
Lika obtained her first legal degree with honors from Tbilisi State University in 2008. In 2010, she received her degree of Master of Laws from Tbilisi State University, Department of Law. She has attended extensive professional study courses at the Georgian Young Lawyers Association specializing in civil law and has also completed a special joint certification programme of the International Finance Corporation in Corporate and Banking Law.
She is a member of the Georgian Bar Association.
Together with her native Georgian, Lika is fluent in Russian and English.
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."
The four-partner team at BGI Legal provides a ‘responsive, proactive and solution-oriented service to a wide range of international corporates both directly and on a referral basis from major international law firms; it has built a strong reputation acting for investors and lenders on many of the country s largest projects. The ‘excellent Lasha Gogiberidze has led the team s work in several major energy mandates, including advising an Asian investor on a hydropower project. Gogiberidze is also regularly involved in financing work, including inter-bank lending, regulatory lending (to comply with capital adequacy requirements) and capital markets work, where Unana Gogokhia is also establishing a strong reputation.
Legal director Unana Gogokhia focuses on financial transactions, and stands out for her experience of capital markets and derivatives. Clients appreciate her ability to "look at the issue very scrupulously and bring up points in the transaction that none of the other parties spotted." Sandro Bibilashvili is increasingly recognised in the market. He is involved in some of the firm's biggest project finance mandates and has recently been active working on energy projects. Counsel Tamara Tevdoradze enters the rankings on the back of positive praise. "She is very reliable, accurate and punctual, thinks in a very logical way and has very strong arguments," a client says