Lika Topuria is a Senior Associate at BGI Legal. She joined the firm as an Associate in 2014. Before BGI, Lika worked at BDO Georgia, where she was involved in major investment transactions, tax advisory services and legal due diligence studies.
Lika practices general commercial and corporate law, litigation and dispute resolution. Her primary practice areas include intellectual property, pharmaceutical law, IT and telecommunications, tax law, product safety and compliance, as well as employment law.
Some of her most notable engagements include:
- Represented a multinational confectionery giant in a complex legal battle concerning the protection of its intellectual property rights, winning landmark cases in IP law.
- Advised a leading biopharmaceutical company on issues related to manufacturing transition and modifications to a business model in Georgia.
- Advised the largest social media platform on matters related to launching and operating its localized version.
- Advised one of the Big-Five companies on regulatory issues of electronic communications and copyrights laws applicable for expanding radio broadcast services in Georgia.
- Advised one of the world’s leading digital travel and lodging platforms on taxation of its operations in Georgia.
- Advised a USA media-services provider and production company on taxation of streaming services.
- Advised a major multinational manufacturer of household care products on advertising rules and product safety and compliance.
- Advised one of the world’s leading digital travel and lodging platforms on the operation of whistleblowing schemes in Georgia.
- Advised clients on various employment matters, including termination of employment and redundancy.
- Advised a major foreign industrial vehicle manufacturing company on state procurement-related matters.
- Advised a major Dutch-based investment private equity fund on insolvency proceedings.
- Due diligence studies of local companies operating in telecommunications, energy, and financial sectors.
Lika received her first law degree (LL.B) with honors from Tbilisi State University in 2008, followed by an LL.M degree in Civil law from the same university in 2010.
In 2021 Lika graduated from the Brussels School of Governance in Belgium, Brussels, an alliance between the Institute for European Studies (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) and Vesalius College, earning her second LL.M Degree in International and European Law, with great distinction.
She is a member of the Georgian Bar Association and is admitted to practice civil, administrative, and criminal law in Georgia.
Together with her native Georgian, Lika is fluent in Russian and English.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.
Solid team with vast experience of handling a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial as well as financial matters. Particularly well versed in project finance and boasts an impressive track record in some of the country's biggest energy and infrastructure projects. Popular choice for prominent international and local clients, including financial institutions and corporates from an array of industry sectors. Clients are impressed with the team's approach, saying: "The best thing is their coming up with proactive advice and suggesting a structure. They are able to work under pressure and respond immediately." Another client adds: "As soon as we give them a project we don't need to double-check anything." Other typical comments are: "They are a top-tier firm on the market with highly skilled, efficient and solution-oriented lawyers."
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."