Tamara is a Partner with BGI Legal. She is part of the original team behind the formation of the firm in 2005. Prior to joining BGI Legal, Tamara worked for EY Law and GCG Law Office. Her areas of practice include real estate, secured transactions, property and land, employment, telecommunications, personal data protection, M&A, corporate registrations and incorporation.
A brief selection of her most recent representations includes the following:
- Participated in a USD 90 million privatization transaction of a major port and infrastructure facility with a view of establishment of a free industrial zone;
- Represented a US based major bank in a USD 25 million mezzanine loan financing of a leading US-Georgian real estate developer and operator;
- Represented a major Russian-based investment group in a consolidated acquisition of the largest Georgian gold and copper mining enterprise from the State and private owners;
- Advised a major Dutch based investment company on various legal issues, including acquisition of real estate in Georgia, establishment of local subsidiaries and loan structuring;
- Advised a major Israeli based distribution company in connection with setting up operations in Georgia, acquisition of real estate and employment issues;
- Advised a major Israeli investment company in relation to acquisition of local business, structuring of the transaction, acquisition of real estate, execution of a joint venture agreement with local partners;
- Advised a large Dutch based real estate development company in relation to the acquisition of real estate in Georgia;
- Advised IFC on the pending East West Highway concession project;
- Acted as a special counsel for a major Cyprus based company in connection with mortgage of marine vessels registered in Georgia;
- Advised a large oil company in connection with the negotiation and execution of a HGA with the government of Georgia;
- Advised a large oil company on various legislative and regulatory issues (including environmental regulations);
- Advised one of the largest international Jewish charities regarding its operations in Georgia;
- Participated in drafting and negotiating contractual documentation in a strategic infrastructure development project (Build, Operate and Transfer Contract for Tbilisi International Airport);
- Assisted the Embassies of United Kingdom, France, Israel, the Netherlands and the mission of the World Bank in Georgia in various land and real estate-related transactions, valued up to USD 10 million;
- Represented a major international pharmaceutical company in settling a collective labor dispute, involving approximately USD 5 million material value;
- Advised a major Dutch software company on its entry onto the Georgian market;
- Advised a major Dutch-based company on the implementation of a multi-million investment in the Georgian real estate project, including negotiations with the local self-governance bodies and announcement of competition;
- Advised a major US based software company on various issues related to protection of personal data.
Tamara has received her first legal degree with highest honors from the Department of International Law and International Relations at Tbilisi State University (TSU) in 1999, followed by LL.M. degree in International Business Law from Central European University (CEU) in 2001. In May 2020 Tamara graduated from New York University School of Law (NY, USA), earning her second LL.M. degree.
Tamara has been a member of Georgian bar since 2004. She has also successfully passed the New York State bar examination and is qualified to practice law in the state of New York, USA.
Tamara is fluent in English, German and Russian, with basic knowledge of Spanish and French.
BGI is one of Georgia's leading firms in all areas of corporate law and in energy and infrastructure has acted on key projects in the oil and gas, energy, transport infrastructure areas. Previous comments have included: "Very good law firm for this jurisdiction...very knowledgeable, they get the job done on time and on budget...they are very professional and good lawyers". Thanks for universal praise from competitors and clients alike, BGI sits comfortably in the top tier... BGI is client-focused and solution-oriented... [with] excellent local counsel, not just for Georgian standards, but by international standards... [A major international client says:] "In terms of local law firms... I have a strong preference for BGI."
Zaza Bibilashvili is a highly respected corporate and disputes lawyer with significant practical experience in real estate transactions. Clients note his creativity and availability.
Zaza Bibilashvili is a well-known and highly regarded figure in the Georgian legal market. One of the founding partners of the firm, he oversees projects and is a key contact for clients. Lasha Gogiberidze has been called "one of the leading lawyers in Georgia" and "a central person not just in capital markets, but in the legal market in general." Considered an expert in capital markets and project finance work, particularly in the energy sphere, he is highly respected by his peers, who say: "He`s among the top lawyers who shaped the legal market."